Monday, September 10, 2012

The Banana


It doesn't happen very often in my kitchen where I actually stop tweaking a recipe. I feel like I am constantly trying new ones or I am talking to someone in the kitchen and completely distracted and forgot something. Mostly I think it's because  I am not very good at measuring things. That's why I never attempt candy, too much measuring.
As I resumed my position in the kitchen after church yesterday to make a host of pies, I realized that I haven't changed my banana cream pie since I made it for Kevin on our second date years ago. Guess why not right? It always turns out, and it's always the pie that is left with a few crumbs. So for the first time in this blog's history I am going to divulge a pie recipe. I know right?! Super exciting stuff...

Banana Cream Pie

1- 9 inch pie crust (recipe to follow)
1- batch of custard (recipe to follow)
5 perfectly ripe bananas
1 qt fresh whipped cream

Tehmi's Pie Crust

2 &1/2 Cups flour
1 Cup shortening
1 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup water
1 egg
1 tsp vinegar

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.

In a mixer, combine flour, salt and shortening together until it forms small beads. In a separate bowl, combine egg, water and vinegar until the egg is mixed completely. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine until well incorporated.

Flour your working surface and split the dough in half. Mold the dough into a ball in your hands and then coat either side with flour. Flour your rolling pin and roll your crust until about a 1/4" thick. Transfer to a pie pan, remove the edges, crimp and prick the dough with a fork, (So the steam releases and your crusts stays flat.)
Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges start to become golden.




Vanilla Cream Custard

1/2 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup evaporated milk
5 large egg yolks
2 Cups whole milk
1 TB Vanilla
2 TB butter

In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch together. Whisk in the evaporated milk, then the egg yolks and finally the milk. Mix until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth. About 3 minutes. Take the custard off the heat and add the butter. Whisk until smooth. Allow to cool before adding to the pie.
 ( I didn't have any whole milk, so I used 1 cup 2% milk and 1 cup half and half. Either way works)

I will also make this custard on a cold day and just eat it plain. Who doesn't love vanilla custard?


To assemble the pie slice 2 ripe bananas onto the bottom of the empty pie crust. 

Layer the cooled custard over the bananas.

Add more bananas onto of the custard.

Finish with the remaining custard on top.

Cover the pie with plastic wrap and chill until cold and firm. You can make this a day an in advance even, as long as it stays in the fridge until you serve it.

When ready to serve cover the pie with fresh whipped cream and enjoy!

love love

5 comments :

  1. That looks divine! Now only if I could get my crust to look that pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just stumbled upon your blog at the exact moment i was ALSO craving banana cream pie...food fate! thanks for the recipe..i guess i'll have to make it! also, your little girls are too darling for words! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love banana cream pie? Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm Ceci. I know/knew Kevin from back in the day at Novell. But...most importantly, I happened upon your blog, read this post and I think you should know, you inspired me to make my very first pie ever. My husband sends blessings your way because of it ;) love your blog!

    ReplyDelete