Friday, July 17, 2009

Apple Chipotle Pork Chops with Sweet Potatoes

Growing up we always had "souped rice and pan fried pork chops with a can of green beans". A classic meal at the Tolbert house hold. I've decided to spice it up, alot. MOM break away from the mold and try this, it will take a little more prep time at the grocery store but it is so worth it. The secret to this dish, the mashed sweet potatoes. You drizzle the sauce over the top and it is nothing short of divine. I couldn't find sweet potatoes anywhere, aparantly they were in high demand before I made this last week and 3 grocery stores didn't have them. I used yams, and its still delightful but the color is all wrong. Seriously this is one of my favorite dinners, its so good! I don't have a recipe for this, so just go with it...
Serves 2
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes

Apple Chipotle Pork Chops
3 Large Fuji Apples, or any sweet apple
2 THICK CUT pork chops, (Not the thin ones Mom)
2 TBS Olive Oil
3 TBS Honey (give or take)
1 C Chipotle Salsa (give or take)
1 C Apple Juice (give or take, I sort of just eyeball the sauce ingredients)

2 Large Sweet Potatoes
A few tablespoons milk
A few tablespoons Butter

First, cut your sweet potatoes into small chunks and Boil until tender. About 20 minutes
Peel and slice your apples, I use an apple slicer then cut the slices in half.

Add your olive oil to a hot frying pan, add pepper'd pork chops. Cook on each side about 2 minutes.
Mix your honey, salsa and juice together.

Pour over pork chops. Then add sliced apples. Cover and let cook until apples are tender and pork is done, about 10 minutes.

Peel your cooked sweet potatoes and then mash, add butter and milk to make smooth.

I use the sauce as a gravy of sorts on the potatoes, I drizzle it over my entire plate.
(See how the orange yams aren't the right color? White sweet potatoes make this more pleasant to the eye)

No comments :

Post a Comment