Sunday, December 12, 2010

Should have called the Sheriff.

The days of baking on my lunch hour and quick runs to the grocery store during the day have come to a screeching halt. I was not aware how useful that ability was. Case in point, we have been out of milk for 4 days and my dry cleaning has been sitting in a pile next to the front door for two weeks. I have to schedule errands and laundry, literally it gets a spot on my calendar, right before the appointment to blog. So last Monday we were running to Costco for baby formula and it was late and very cold when we were making our way home. As we driving around the lake, the deer were doing what they do this time of year, jump across the road as if it was their personal cross walk. Being a local girl and all, I knew well enough to drive very slowly and be alert. Well as I rounded the corner, the gentleman in front of me was clearly not a local. He took care of Bambi's mother with the hood of his car in one swift motion. As I slowed and drove next to him to make sure he was okay, I realized that it was 3 degrees outside and it was a bunch of teenagers. I decided to do a good deed and make sure they weren't hurt. They weren't hurt but their car was squirting out some sort of liquid. I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be driven. I asked if they needed anything, and they took that to mean I could give them all a ride into town. Not really thinking I said okay, I guess I can take then to the gas station, because as it turns out, no one had a cell phone and one girl didn't even have a coat. They were from Wyoming. The next thing I know the dad, (apparently they all weren't teenagers) was in my passenger seat and we were making our way to the gas station. He was on my phone the whole time trying to get someone to come and pick them up. His girl friend hung up on him twice because he was in the car with another woman. It was the longest 4 miles of my life. Apparently he had just been laid off from the Flying J in Evanston and was spending some time with his son and his friends. After he called 4 people to drive down from Wyoming and pick him up, I took control. I wiped off my iPhone, called the sheriff and told them to come pick up the stranded, nearly frozen teenagers on the side of the road, and then go get the Dad from the gas station. My good deed for the day was well beyond fulfilled and I was going home.
After that was quickly resolved, I decided that I probably shouldn't have picked up a stranger on the side of the road and should have called the sheriff to begin with.

That's what they are there for right?

No comments :

Post a Comment